Hunting for a new job can often feel as if you’re navigating unchartered waters. You devote countless hours to searching for opportunities, prepping your resume, and submitting applications – all without any direct feedback about what’s working and what’s not. Fortunately, by partnering with a staffing company you don’t have to go through this process alone.
Most recruiters act as your advocate and many will “represent” you to their clients if they feel like you’re a good match for the company and position available. With a vast network of clients, job opportunities, and industry expertise most jobseekers can’t afford not to take advantage of a staffing company. To help you make the most of their services, here are five things you should know:
- Don’t hesitate – More often than not, jobseekers utilize staffing companies as a last resort and many skip them altogether out of pure misunderstanding about what they do and how they help. But you’d be remiss to wait too long to take advantage of this rich and widely under-tapped resource. Most staffing companies are bursting with great job opportunities. That’s because many companies don’t have the time or expertise to recruit new workers themselves – so in order to quickly fill vacancies, they partner with a staffing company who is often the first, if not the only, to know when a position becomes available.
- Be honest – If you don’t have a lot of experience, are looking for a position that offers more opportunity, or simply just trying to get out of a bad job, let the recruiter know why you’re seeking new employment. Being honest is one of the ways to help the recruiters help you. In order for them to make a successful match they must make sure you have the right skills and personality for the job, but also be sure that the job and company is consistent with your career goals and objectives.
- Be flexible – Walking into a staffing company with a 100-item list of job must-haves will surely work against you in your quest to find a new job. Being flexible about the pay, location, and even the type of work (permanent or temporary) you’re willing to consider will allow recruiters to match you with more opportunities and could be the difference between scoring your next big break or not.
- Ask for advice – One of the greatest benefits of working with a staffing company is being able to tap into the knowledge and expertise of the recruiters themselves. Here at ALTRES Staffing, our Personnel Managers have over 200 years of combined experience and each of them holds valuable insight into the local job market. Plus, with four specialized divisions (Office, Technical, Medical, and Industrial), our recruiters can help you better understand the trends, salary averages, and job skills relevant to your specific field or industry.
- Don’t stop your job search – Many jobseekers make the mistake of depending on a staffing company to do all the job-searching leg work for them. Sure it’s easy and convenient, but relying solely on a staffing company or any job search method for that matter won’t yield the great results you’re after. Instead, think of a staffing company as a supplemental resource to your ongoing job search. By using all the resources at your disposal, you’ll increase your chances of landing the right job.
When you partner with ALTRES Staffing, you’ll gain access to a wide range of positions (many that are not advertised anywhere else) and have the opportunity to work with a wide range of companies – from Hawaii’s top 250 companies to small local businesses. We never charge jobseekers a fee to work with us and offer competitive, big company benefits to our employees. To get your job search underway, you can browse our job board, set up a free account, or contact us directly to speak to one of our experienced team members.