How Does a Staffing Company Work?
As a jobseeker, working with a staffing company can be greatly beneficial. Staffing companies have access to positions that are not advertised elsewhere and help speed up the hiring process. Plus, most staffing companies offer great benefits! If nothing else, a staffing company can help polish your resume, give you tips on the interview, and offer valuable career advice.
Still, many jobseekers don’t completely understand how a staffing company operates or what to expect when working with one. Here’s the low-down on what you should know about how a staffing company works:
- Free for jobseekers. For jobseekers, using a staffing company is completely free. However, there’s no guarantee that you’ll get placed in a position. Because of this, jobseekers should use a staffing company in addition to their own job search efforts. Like the old adage goes, ‘don’t put all your eggs in one basket’.
- A staffing company works for their clients. Businesses use staffing companies to help them find the right candidate for a wide variety of employment needs. The staffing company does all the leg work of finding and screening candidates and the client (business) pays them for this service.
- The staffing company doesn’t make the hiring decision—the client does. A staffing company recruits candidates based on the requirements set by their clients. So the final hiring decision is with the client, not the staffing company. Just like any other position you apply for, even if you have all the qualifications, you may not get the job.
- Staffing companies offer businesses three hiring options. Because employers have different needs, staffing companies offer a few hiring options for them to choose from: temporary, temp-to-hire, and direct-hire. Jobseekers should familiarize themselves with these options before accepting a position with a staffing company.
- How the jobseeker gets paid. If you are working on a temporary or temp-to-hire basis, you are considered an employee of the staffing company, so your paycheck (and benefits) will come from the staffing company, not the client you are working for. Staffing companies often offer weekly pay and direct deposit options.
- The staffing company helps you get the best pay possible. One thing many jobseekers don’t think about is that a staffing company can help your negotiate salary with the client. As professionals in the industry, staffing recruiters know what is fair and can help advocate on your behalf.
If you’re looking for a job, consider working with ALTRES Staffing. ALTRES is a kama’aina company and our goal is to assist every jobseeker that comes through our doors—whether it’s matching them with one of our clients, offering career tips and advice through our knowledgeable staff and resource center, or connecting them with other companies in the community through our free, local job board.
Still have questions about working with a staffing company like ALTRES? Check our FAQ page or contact us.